Shift Schedules enables all users to check their shift schedule in list or calendar format from within the Beekeeper mobile app. Shift Schedules can be shared in Beekeeper via pre-formatted excel upload, or with a custom integration using the Shifts API.
If you're interested in building an integration, the Shifts API documentation can be found here. If not, you can upload your shift schedules to Beekeeper via a pre-formatted Excel template that you can download from the dashboard using the process listed below.
Shift Schedules is part of our Operational Suite. If you’re interested to try it out or learn more, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Managing Shift Schedules
Global and Group Admins have the ability to set up and manage Shift Schedules, by following these steps:
- Go to the Dashboard.
- Click 'Toolbox' and then 'Shift Schedules'.
- Create a schedule by clicking on 'Add Schedule'.
- Name the schedule and add groups and/or users who are part of the schedule.
- Click into the Schedule you've created.
- Click 'Download Excel Template'.
Or you can download a previous file that you've created by clicking into a team folder, then clicking the cog icon next to an existing schedule and clicking 'Download Shifts File'.
- Set the starting date for the template and the appropriate time zone for shifts, then click 'Create & Download'.
- Open the downloaded Excel template and click on the 'Shift Index' tab to define your shifts.
- Complete each of the rows:
- Title of the shift (we recommend shorter titles like AM, PM, OFF, VAC, etc.)
- Start and end time (if not set, the shift defaults to an all day event)
- Description (optionally include additional information about a shift)
- Return to the 'Schedule' tab and fill out shifts for users.
- If you like, you can add colours to shifts:
- Highlight all cells of the schedule.
- Click on 'Conditional Formatting'.
- Select 'Highlight Cell Rules' → 'Text that Contains' or 'Equal to'.
- Add the title of the shift.
- In the 'Format with' drop-down menu, click on 'Custom Format'.
- Select 'Fill' choose the color you would like all shifts with that title to have.
Multiple Shifts for a User on a Day
There are a few ways to reflect multiple shifts for a person on the same day. It's important to note that in a schedule (e.g. "Supervisor Schedule"), a user can only be scheduled one time for a certain timeframe on a certain day. For example, if AM Supervisor goes from 8am-2pm and PM Supervisor goes from 1pm-6pm, this would not be allowed for one person in this one schedule because the times overlap. If AM Supervisor went from 8am-2pm and PM Supervisor went from 3pm-7pm, this would be allowed because the time frames do not overlap.
However, a person can have 'overlapping' shifts if they exist in separate schedules. For example, if there is a “Maintenance Supervisor Schedule” and a “Maintenance Schedule”, then a person could be scheduled in both schedules for overlapping timeframes and the user would be able to see both of these shifts in their calendar.
Another example of this is if you have a 'Mandatory Trainings' schedule and a 'Housekeeping' schedule, you could schedule someone to work a housekeeping shift from 10am-6pm and also schedule from 1pm-2pm a mandatory training. The housekeeping employee would see both shifts in their calendar.
- All shifts are connected to a user’s unique Beekeeper User ID, so you’ll need to make sure the information in column B (hidden in the template) is copied in addition to the user name. This will happen automatically when you duplicate the row.
- Template format should not be altered to ensure a successful upload. Before uploading the schedule, make sure you have not removed the instructions row of each tab or added additional rows above the date row in the Schedule tab. In addition, any additional formatting such as freeze panes should be removed prior to uploading.
Return to the Beekeeper Dashboard to Import Shifts, which will trigger a push notification to all members of your team whose schedules have been updated.
Viewing a Shift Schedule in the app
Make sure your Shift Schedule appears in the 'More' section of your app by adding [your-company].beekeeper.io/shifts as a Navigation Extension.
Once your Shift Schedule has been added as a Navigation Extension, you can view it in the app by following these steps:
- Open the Beekeeper app on your phone
- Tap 'More' (in the bottom right corner)
Select 'Schedule' or 'Your Shifts' (this will vary by company)
You can view your shifts in a calendar view:
- Dots = multiple shifts
- Moon icon = overnight shift
- Click on a date to see the title, date and times of your shift
Or view your shifts in a list view:
You can easily share a link to shifts - [your-company].beekeeper.io/shifts
Some interesting ways you could use this:
Send a campaign to your team with the link to shifts and ask them to confirm the campaign showing they’ve reviewed their shifts
Send out a survey with a link to shifts and ask your team questions related to their shifts or the upcoming schedule
Share the link in a group chat or post