The below video will show you how to:
- Prepare your profile fields and groups ahead of the upload
- Download the template and create your excel/csv file
- Import the file and map columns to profile fields and groups
- Correct import errors
Take a look here for more options for automating user management,
The first two steps outlined below are essential to ensure a smooth upload process:
- Define all your required Profile Fields by following the steps outlined in this article
- Set up the Groups you need, using the instructions in this article
Once you have completed the steps above, here's how to create new users with an Excel/CSV file:
Step 1: Download the template
- From the Dashboard, select the “Users & Groups” tab
- Select the "Users" subtab
- Click on "Export" to download the user template
Step 2: Complete the template
- Delete any columns with blue headers as these will not be used for the import
- Complete the template by adding your users
- Put an 'a' or 'm' in the columns of Groups/Locations they should be part of
- 'a' = The user will be made member and admin of the group/location.
- 'm' = The user will be made member of the group/location. If they had admin rights, they will be revoked.
- 'x' (Legacy) = The user will be made member of the group/location. If they had admin rights, those will remain unchanged.
- ' ' (empty) = The user will be removed from the group/location
- Save the file
Step 3: Upload the Excel/CSV file
- Select the “Imports” subtab
- In the top right corner, click the “New Import / Update” button
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select “Upload Excel or CSV file”
- Select your file and click “Open”
- Match all columns in your file with the corresponding profile fields in Beekeeper
- Scroll down and assign the users to the correct groups
- Click “Next”
- On the next page you will see a summary of your import with some sample users
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select either “No, I will inform them myself” or “Yes, send login instructions via email and SMS to new users”
- Click “Import Now”
Once you have uploaded your users to Beekeeper, you'll be able to download a report detailing the users that have been successfully imported. This report will be available for up to 30 days after the date of your upload.
The system will automatically add, update or suspend users during the import. For more detailed information click the “New Import / Update” button in the “Imports” subtab under the “Users & Groups” tab.
If the system had problems importing the data, parts of the status bar will appear red. Click on report.csv to download a file where the problematic fields will be mentioned. Correct your initial file and upload it again. Users that are already in the system will not be created again. If some of their details got changed in the Excel or CSV file, it will update those fields during the import.
The best way to ensure your file format is correct is to pre-define all your required profile fields and groups as described above, download the user template and use it to populate with your user data.
Below you'll find some further useful information about the file format:
Review your fields as described below:
Here are the language codes that can be used:
- English - en
- Bosnian - bs
- Czech - cs
- German - de
- Spanish - es
- French - fr
- Hungarian - hu
- Italian - it
- Japanese - ja
- Korean (South Korea) - ko-kr
- Dutch - nl
- Polish - pl
- Portuguese - pt
- Portuguese (Brazil) - pt-br
- Romanian - ro
- Russian - ru
- Swedish - sv
- Thai - th
- Turkish - tr
- Chinese (Simplified, China) - zh-cn
- Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan) - zh-tw
- firstname_lastname or a unique employee ID are most commonly used as usernames
- replace special characters like ä, ö, ü, é, è, à, ô, ê, â, -, '
- don't use capital letters
- don't use full stops
- delete spaces
The id can be any unique identifier assigned to employees in your organization, e.g. an employee number, a SAP-ID, or a social security number. Think of the id as providing a link to your other systems - from as large as your human resources SAP system to as small as an Excel document. Users will never be able to change their id, so it is a safe way for you to later bulk update existing users using this id.
- Each number must be a mobile number, no land lines allowed
- Each number must be written in the international format (CH +41 44 555 1212, DE +49 30 555 1212, US +1 415 555 1212)
- Check if each number is the same length, shorter or longer numbers could indicate that they're invalid
You can assign users directly to a group while uploading them. To do that, you first need to add these groups in the system. Follow this link to see how to create a group. Copy the name of your created group and paste it at the top of the column. You can then assign a user to a group by adding an “x” for each user under the corresponding column. There is no limit to how many groups a user can be a member of.
A note about placeholders
Placeholders are used to identify profile fields independent of language. For example, 'Username' in English becomes 'Benutzername' in German. In order to automatically match this field during an import, we use the placeholder value, 'username' (note that it is in lowercase).
Your import file should use these placeholder values, instead of the profile field names. This contrasts with group names, which do not change with language, and so must match exactly with the group name in the admin dashboard.