If you are interested in integrating other platforms with Beekeeper, you can use third party products - such as Zapier - to manage these connections. Bot accounts in Beekeeper and their associated access keys are often necessary when setting up these integrations. These accounts have normal member permissions to the platform and can be added to user groups. (Although some Zapier actions would require the bot to have admin rights).
Creating a Bot
You have two options for creating bots:
- You can create 1-way bots that push content into Beekeeper or act on content that is published on Beekeeper and stores it elsewhere. The best way to do this is using Zapier.
- You can also create 2-way bots that users can interact with. These bots allow a user to ask a question and get a reply or request some information stored in a third-party tool such as your HRIS system (e.g. requesting time off or asking how many days off are left). To build such a bot you can use our Chatbot SDK, for which you can find documentation on our developer portal. Setting up a 2-way bot with the Chatbot SDK requires the support of a software developer.
Take a look at some examples of Chatbots that could be created.
Please be aware that the chatbot SDK currently works only on Chats, they cannot interact with posts such as liking or commenting.
Creating a Bot Account in Beekeeper
- Login to Beekeeper on the desktop app
- Click on your profile image in the top right corner and select “Dashboard”
- Click on the “Extensions” tab to the left and then the “Bot Accounts” subtab
- Click the “+ Add Bot Account” button in the top right corner
- Name the bot account and upload an avatar if desired
Example: You are integrating your company Instagram page with Beekeeper so all posts from Instagram are automatically pushed to Beekeeper. Name the bot account “Instagram” and upload the “Instagram” logo as the avatar. Therefore, all posts from Instagram would appear as being posted by an “Instagram” user with the Instagram logo as the profile picture.
- Locate your bot account in the overview list and copy the Access Key